Cancer World

Blood tests detect various types of cancer

Written by admin

The test was developed by The Grail biotechnology company and devised by researchers from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, who shared this development at the annual congress of the European Society of Oncology medicine. It was 99.4% effective and the remaining 0.6% false positive.

Science continues to advance and makes available new technologies that simplify people’s lives. A new blood test to detect various types of cancer was recently presented at the annual congress of the European Society for Oncology medicine (ESMO).

Researchers at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute shared the results in a trial in which they tested this new method. The test analyzes the remains of tumor DNA that circulate freely in the blood and detects up to 20 types of tumors.

According to scientists, “in 99.4% of cases the tests were able to correctly identify patients who had a tumor and the organ from which the cancer originated.” 0.6% was a false positive.

From the Harvard Center they indicated that this analysis correctly identified various types of cancer such as breast, ovarian, colon, pancreas, head and neck, esophagus and gallbladder, as well as multiple myeloma and leukemia.

The study involved 3600 people, 1,500 of whom had cancer, and the others were healthy. The test successfully detected cancer in the blood samples of cancer patients and identified the tissue in which the disease began.

The novel part of this test is that it looks for the DNA that cancer cells leave in the blood when they die. “Liquid biopsies” detect cancer-related genetic alterations or mutations in DNA.

The analysis was developed by the biotechnology company Grail, which uses innovative methods to observe genetic sequencing in search of chemical micro-substances (methylation), which influence whether genes linked to tumor development are active or inactive.

About the author


Leave a Comment